Coulthard over Dennis en co

Gestart door FerrariMan, 11 april 2005 - 13:54:38

« vorige - volgende »

FerrariMan

Net een artikel gevonden op Planet-F1:
Citaat
DC blames Dennis for his McLaren woe
Friday April 08 2005

A 'scarred' David Coulthard has blamed Ron Dennis for his inconsistent performances at McLaren, and says that he is happy to have left the team for Red Bull.

Coulthard spent nine years at McLaren before being replaced at the end of last season by Juan Pablo Montoya. The Scotsman's time at Woking was characterised by wildly differing performances – a world-beater one day, DC had a tendency to be distinctly average the next.

It's a fault he acknowledged in an interview with F1-Racing Magazine – "I know I displayed a lack of consistency. I don't deny it" - but also one that he blamed upon a lack of support from his former team boss, Ron Dennis.  Or, to be more precise, a lack of support from Dennis compared to that given to DC's erstwhile McLaren team-mates, Kimi Raikkonen and Mika Hakkinen.

"Extra support was unquestionably directed to my team-mate while I was at McLaren. And, given that the mind controls the body and not the other way round, that had to have had an effect on me that, even now, I find difficult to quantity."

This perceived lack of support manifested itself when Dennis ordered Coulthard to let Hakkinen pass him to take grands prix victories at Jerez in 1997 and again at Melbourne in 1998.

"I couldn't quite comprehend what had just happened. The realisation that it had been so normal-seeming for Ron to require me to move over for Mika...was far from normal-seeming to me. It kind of shattered my confidence, in fact."

And neither DC, nor Dennis, were able to heal the scars caused by those two events.

"Those two races kind of set the scene that was an ever-present backdrop to the years that followed. Sometimes Ron was very supportive of me; at other times he was just too busy running his company."

Coulthard also admits that, during his final seasons with the team in particular, he was unhappy at McLaren.

"Overall, I wasn't unhappy at McLaren, but there were certainly periods when I wasn't happy...because of the way certain situations were developing, especially lately.

"The car wasn't working, the whole team were feeling low, there were some horrible periods. The last couple of years of under-performing, problems with the 18 [the never-raced MP4-18A] inevitably all that had an affect."

It was announced in November 2003 that Montoya had signed a contract with McLaren to join the team for the 2005 season. While it would be some time before McLaren officially confirmed that DC would be the driver making way, the Scot knew then that his days at Woking were coming to an end.

However, Coulthard accepts that his axing was the 'logical' decision for Dennis to make.

"It was time for a change. It was the logical thing for him to do. So I don't feel any bitterness towards him over that. I had my time at McLaren, I derived pleasure from my wins, and I admit I still carry with me a lot of frustrations from the moments when things didn't work out as I'd have liked them to. But I've moved on. I've moved onto the next period of my life. And I'm happy."

Heeft iemand het artikel van F1-Racing magazine waarin DC dit bevestigd?

The Iceman

Heb dit artikel ook gelezen op het Team Mclaren forum, dus zal er wel wat waarheid in zitten dat het een bestaand artikel is.
Achteraf is het natuurlijk makkelijk kritiek spuien op je vorige team. David heeft inderdaad mooie dingen gedaan bij Mclaren, maar kwam jammer genoeg altijd een beetje tekort op zijn supersnelle Finse teammaats. David heeft zijn kans gehad bij Mclaren, maar ze jammer genoeg nooit gegrepen. Mika of Kimi waren vaak sneller dan de Schot. Ook de one lap qualifying heeft hem geen deugd gedaan, hij kon er, als één van de enige coureurs gewoon niet mee overweg.
Vermoed dat Montoya hetzelfde lot gaat ondergaan als David. Kimi is gewoon een snellere piloot dan Montoya, maakt minder fouten en dat gaat tussen de oortjes spelen van de Colombiaan vrees ik !
David is more relaxed op dit moment bij het team van Red Bull, hij wordt aanzien als leider van het team, is al twee keer van de drie sneller geweest dan Klien en voelt zich een beetje bevrijd van Iceman. En dat doet hem deugd ! 

Jasper

Er zal inderdaad wel waarheid in zitten. Dat hij refereert naar een heel team dat down was in de tijd van de 18 en daarvoor, wil ook wel zeggen dat hij niet de capaciteit had om het team op te peppen, wat bijvoorbeeld een Schumacher dan weer wel kan.

Nu heb je over de dingen die hij daar zegt over extra steun twee soorten mensen hé. Je hebt de mensen die zonder die extra steun inderdaad in hun kas gaan kruipen, het hoofd tussen de schouders trekken en minder presteren. En je hebt mensen die zich daardoor oppeppen omdat ze willen bewijzen dat ze de steun ook verdienen. Maar daarvoor moet je mentale kracht hebben natuurlijk, en als het jaren aan een stuk zo gaat, is het ook weer niet zo evident...

DC relativeert alles trouwens zelf al lijkt me.

Bruno

Tja, ofwel heeft hij gelijk en is het inderdaad zo geweest maar dan kan je eigenlijk wel van een soort teamorders spreken. Ofwel probeert hij op deze manier zijn mindere periode te verklaren.

In beide gevallen is er toch duidelijk wat mis: OF met het team, OF met de rijder.  :o

Het is inderdaad ook zo dat hij minder met de 1 rondekwalificatie format om kan/kon.
Hopelijk gaat het hem beter af nu zoals gezegd hem zo geen grote druk op de schouders rust.

-----<
O O
-(_)-Ooo--- Bruno

FerrariMan

Als het echt zijn woorden zijn dan is het spijtig dat hij zo zijn toekomst bij McLaren heeft zien verwoest worden. Zelfde voor Rubens.